There were currently 1.4 million LinkedIn groups. With so many groups, how do you find and choose which groups to join?
Content Marketing Takes Off: Business-to-consumer (B2C) communicators are heavily using—and significantly investing in—content marketing, says a new study conducted by the Content Marketing Institute and MarketingProfs and sponsored by Pace.
According to the study, 86% of B2C organizations market with content—regardless of company size or industry.
Some of the nuggets from the study:
- B2C organizations use an average of 12 tactics. The most popular tactics include social media (excluding blogs) (84%), articles on a company’s website (84%), e-newsletters (78%) and blogs (77%).
- While these results are similar to the habits among B2B marketers, B2C marketers are using mobile content, mobile apps, print magazines and print newsletters more often than their B2B peers.
- For B2C marketers, Facebook is the most popular platform by far, with 90% of respondents indicating they use this for content distribution. This differs from B2B, in which LinkedIn is the most popular platform, with 83% of respondents using this (compared with 51% of B2C marketers).
- Akin to B2B companies, B2C communicators are investing heavily in content marketing. They now spend 28% of their marketing budgets on content marketing, and 55% of B2C marketers plan to increase their content marketing spend within the next year.
Source: Content Marketing Institute/MarketingProfs
I invited DJ and his co-conspirator, Jason Falls, to the show to discuss their forthcoming book, The Rebel’s Guide to Email Marketing, and to find out, first and foremost, why they would write a book about email marketing in this day and age!
2.9 Billion Accounts Can’t Be Wrong
The first reason, as indicated above, is that they were sick and tired of hearing that email marketing is dead when, actually, 94% of people who are online use email regularly (for the mathematically declined, that’s pretty much everybody), there are 2.9 billion email accounts in the world, and the percentage of time that people spend looking at commercial emails is steadily increasing.
The other reason they wrote the book is that, according to Jason, “There’s just been a lot of erroneous advice out there telling people a subject line has to be a certain number of characters or you can’t use ‘FREE’ in the subject line, or it’s a no-no to buy a list or use a pop-up to collect email addresses.”
Driven by the rebellious attitude announced in the title of their book, DJ and Jason spend a lot of time identifying and debunking these bits of erroneous advice. As they see it, most of the best-practices related to email marketing that people find on the Web just don’t hold up when you test them in specific contexts; and, in fact, people can sometimes get better results by doing the exact opposite of what the best-practice prescribes.
Test, Test, Test
“You can’t just assume that if we say you should always do this or this is something that’s worked for us, it’s going to work for your audience,” Jason says. “You’ve got to test it.”
Now, if you read MarketingProfs or attend any of our PRO Seminars, then the importance of testing won’t be news to you. However, even though there are no “best-practices” per se, and although you should find out what works best in your context by testing your assumptions, many people don’t actually test at all. I asked DJ for the reason they don’t.
Testing Ain’t Easy!
After assuring me that it wasn’t just a case of laziness, as I may have intimated, DJ explained that “not all email service providers (ESP) make it easy to test.” That is, they may provide you with the basic mechanisms, but you may have to do a lot of manual test set-up (list prep and segmentation, etc.) yourself.
This brings us to the other problem: Testing, whether supported by the ESP or not, is still work.
“We’re all busy people,” DJ said, “For some, [just] to get an email out the door is an accomplishment, let alone thinking about testing—and [about] what are you going to do and what’s the subject line. And you’re talking about some teams that are one-person teams.”
Don’t Forget to Measure the Things that Matter
Whether you are testing or not, you do need to evaluate the performance of your email marketing efforts, and that means measuring what matters.
Measuring what matters can also help you determine whether the best-practices you’ve chosen to follow are really best for you. For example, many email marketers look at open rates when they are measuring the effectiveness of subject lines, and in many cases shorter subject lines do drive higher open rates.
However, email messages with longer subject lines, though opened less frequently, can have higher click-through rates once opened, the theory being that longer subject lines may better “qualify” recipients so that they are “opening with intent.”
Email Marketing Doesn’t End With an Open!
“When you send an email as a business, what are you trying to do?” Jason asked. “You’re not trying to get them to, in most cases, respond to the email or subscribe to the same list they’re already subscribed to. You’re trying to get them to click through to something.”
“You’re using email,” DJ added, “as that conduit to drive somebody somewhere else.”
Accordingly, you have to ask yourself whether you are looking at and measuring the right things. Getting a lot of people to open your emails is great, but if that’s all they did, then pretty soon you might find yourself out of a job!
The Bottom Line
Even though email marketing has been around for a while, the continuing evolution of the online landscape and the steady proliferation of devices on which email is viewed still leave plenty of room for experimentation—and an aggressive testing of best-practices. In fact, with so much ongoing change, breaking the rules may be the sole best-practice with any staying power.
On this point, and in the context of integrating social media and email marketing, DJ said something interesting: “You’re not really breaking the rules when it comes to email and social because, I think, the rules are still being created.”
And if the rules are still to be created, rebel, you may have the chance to make up a few of your own!
If you’d like to hear my entire conversation with DJ and Jason, you can use the player above or download the mp3 and listen at your leisure. Of course, you can also subscribe to Marketing Smarts via RSS or in iTunes and never miss an episode!
This episode features:
DJ Waldow, CEO of Waldow Social. DJ has spent nearly seven years in the email, social, and community-building world. A prolific blogger and speaker, he has written for various publications, including MediaPost’s Email Insider and MarketingProfs, and has spoken at conferences, such as BlogWorld, and for various organizations, including the University of Utah Business School.
Jason Falls, who has led a national advertising agency’s interactive and social media efforts, worked with Fortune 100 brands as a social media strategist, and served as an independent consultant in the social media industry. He has advised major, regional, and niche brands, including Humana, The Envelope Manufacturers of America, Jim Beam and Maker’s Mark bourbons, Louisville Slugger, and The National Center for Family Literacy.
Tags: DJ Waldow, Email, Email Marketing, Email Marketing for Rebels, Email Service Providers, Email Subject Lines, Jason Falls, Marketing Smarts, MarketingProfs, Matthew T. Grant, PRO Seminars, The Rebel's Guide to Email Marketing
- My week on twitter: 2 New Followers, 3 Mentions, 2.42K Mention Reach. via sumall.com/myweek 5 days ago
- My week on twitter: 3 New Followers, 1 Mentions, 787 Mention Reach. via sumall.com/myweek 1 week ago
- My week on twitter: 2 New Followers, 1 Mentions, 384 Mention Reach. via sumall.com/myweek 3 weeks ago
- My week on twitter: 1 Mentions, 853 Mention Reach. via sumall.com/myweek 1 month ago
- My week on twitter: 1 New Followers. via sumall.com/myweek 1 month ago
SO! What? SOcial Stats
- 38,653 hits
SO! What? Calendar
SO! What? SOcial Blogroll
- Why Women Are The Real Power Behind SOcial Media? March 13, 2014
- Did You Know 70% of Pinterest Engagement is Community Driven? February 28, 2014
- Infographic: 45 SOcial Media Stats of 2013 February 2, 2014
- Infographic: The Rise of SOcial Media as a Profession January 29, 2014
- Millennials & SOcial Media = ? December 5, 2013
- Infographic: Halloween Costumes for Entrepreneurs October 31, 2013
- How to Market on LinkedIn [Infographic] October 15, 2013
- Using SOcial Media For Lead Generation July 18, 2013
- Link Building Made Simple: FAQ’s on Link Building July 4, 2013
- Need Inspiration? July 1, 2013
- LinkedIn Marketing Solutions – Marketing to Mindset June 19, 2013
- Facebook Adds Searchable Hashtags June 12, 2013
- When Animals Take Over SOcial Media… June 11, 2013
- Could Your Staff Be Your Best Brand Advocates? June 8, 2013
- What Makes a Successful SOcial Media Campaign? June 5, 2013
- How to Create Five Fabulous Infographics in PowerPoint May 31, 2013
- What’s the Career Landscape for Women Right Now? May 30, 2013
- The Key to Building a Strong Online Reputation May 27, 2013
- Increase Shares, Tweets, Likes, and Pins to Fuel Search and Drive Engagement May 22, 2013
- Maximizing Return From Your Facebook Investment May 14, 2013
- How Do Men and Women Use SOcial Media Differently? May 13, 2013
- Effective “Big Data” Management = Successful Online Marketing May 8, 2013
- Why a SOcial CEO? May 7, 2013
- Are Your SOcial Media Analytics Working for You? May 6, 2013
- Facebook: Best Days to Post, Segmented By Industry May 5, 2013
- The New Heart of Marketing: Service May 1, 2013
- How to Increase Your Twitter Following? April 30, 2013
- 12 New Personality Types in SOcial Media April 24, 2013
- SOcial Media & Corporate Strategy: Changing Roadmaps and New Landscapes April 23, 2013
- Should You Use Twitter? This Flowchart Has The Answer! April 20, 2013
- Which Demographics Use SOcial Media? April 15, 2013
- How to Optimize Your SOcial Channels for Lead Generation April 10, 2013
- SO! What? SOcial Hits 3000 Likes on Facebook April 9, 2013
- How #Hashtags Work? April 9, 2013
- 10 Useless Things to Cut From Your Marketing April 8, 2013
- Are You The SOcial Media You Use? April 6, 2013
- ‘Old School’ SEO And The 5 New Rules To Follow April 4, 2013
- 5 Tips on Creating Great SOcial Media Channels April 2, 2013
- Inspirational Tuesday April 2, 2013
- The 4 C’s of SOcial Media April 1, 2013
- Five Steps to a Successful LinkedIn Company Page March 30, 2013
- R.I.P Steve Jobs March 27, 2013
- Infographics, Images, and the Value of Impressions: Why are Visual Features Vital to Social Marketing? March 26, 2013
- Rocking SOcial Media: Work Smarter, Not Harder March 25, 2013
- 50 Tried and True Social Insights From Real Marketers March 24, 2013
- SOcial Media Marketing World #SMMW13 March 23, 2013
- The Anatomy of Content Marketing: Infographic March 19, 2013
- Free Template: The Social Media Publishing Schedule March 18, 2013
- Happy St. Patrick’s Day! March 17, 2013
SO! What? SOcial Top Posts & Pages
SO! What? SOcial Tags
SO! What? SOcial Category Cloud
SO! What? SOcial
SOcial Media is here to stay. It is today’s new word of mouth engine that drives customer awareness and decision making ability. Be involved in the conversation. Our expert team of SOcial media professionals at SO! What? SOcial Media provide total SOcial media solutions that meet your needs and generate a positive return on your investment.
SO! What? SOcial is a SOcial media marketing agency that specializes in search and SOcial media to connect and engage with your target market. A full service firm that helps connect with target markets develop healthy relationships and build engaging communities.
SO! What? We help companies’ better start, understand, leverage and join in relevant conversations happening all over the World Wide Web. Why? Because in doing so, we improve our client’s business and brand results.
✓SOcial Media Marketing
✓Marketing Strategy and Roadmap
✓SOcial Media Measurement
✓Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
✓SOcial Media Marketing Platform Integration
✓Digital and SOcial Media Advertising
✓SOcial Media Advertising
✓Online Contest and Sweepstakes
✓Fast Tracking SOcial Media Growth
✓Local Search Marketing
✓SOcial Media Monitoring and Analytics
✓Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
✓Custom SOcial Media Profile Development
What is Social Media?
SO! What? A SOcial Media Company. Engage. Connect. SOcialize
Located in Vancouver, British Columbia.
More information? Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
SO! What? Feature Posts
On March 7th, 2013, Dress for Success Vancouver will host IMPACT: An Event for Change, the organization’s annual major fundraising event. Once again, this year’s event will take place at the prestigious Rosewood Hotel Georgia. The evening presents a mix of philanthropy and entertainment – guests have the chance to win special door prizes, bid on exciting […]
B2B Marketing B2B Social Media BC Chapter of the American Marketing Association BCBusiness BrandYou Branding Professionals Brandixit | The Next Generation Branding Community BtoB Marketing Canadian Social Media Professionals [#CSMP] Content Strategy Digital Marketing Digital Media Group E-Commerce Network Ecommerce and Online Marketing Experts Enterprise Social 2.0 Future Trends Google Analytics Innovations in Social Media […]
Awards Gala & Networking Event! Join us on November 28, 2012 at this exciting awards evening as we reveal the Best Companies to Work for in BC 2012 winners. Network with 500+ business professionals and celebrate with the finalists and winners. Plus, hear John Herdman, head coach of the Canadian Olympic women’s soccer team speak on […]
City of Vancouver Completes Three-Year, $3-Million Overhaul of Website. Read: http://ow.ly/cRESY #Vancouver
SO! What? SOcial
- About Us
- SOcial Media
- SOcial Media Campaign
- SOcial Networking
- Content Creation
- SOcial Media
- SOcial News
- SOcial Media
- #SMWF N.America
- AllFacebook Marketing Conference 2012
- B.C. Awards Gala
- Content Marketing World 2012
- Digital Leaders USA
- Internet Summit 2012
- Mashable’s SOcial Good Summit
- Searchlove Boston
- SOcial Media Strategies Summit
- TDS North America 2012
- #SMSummit Las Vegas
- Apps World North America 2013
- MarketingSherpa’s Email Summit 2013
- PR News’ Digital PR Next Practices Summit
- Social Media Marketing World #SMMW13
- 2012 Events
- 2012 Webinar
- 2013 Events
- 2013 Webinar
- 3 Steps to Massive Traffic from YouTube
- Accelerate SMB Growth in 2013
- Best B2B Social Practices
- Debunking Mobile Research Myths
- Facebook Marketing Secrets
- Harnessing the Power of Online Networks
- How to Build Links, Get Rankings
- How to Grow Your LinkedIn Group
- Is Social Still Cool?
- LinkedIn and your Brand
- Marketing Goes Mobile – and Local
- Marketing on Social Networks
- Marketing with SlideShare
- Multi Content Funnel Marketing
- SEO and Internet Marketing in 2012
- Social Media and Marketing
- Social Media Monitoring #MSM12
- How to Prepare Your Brand for #SoLoMo
- Managing SOcially Integrated Channels
- Social Media & Organizational Change
- Visual Storytelling for Your PR Initiatives
SO! What? SOcial Top Rated
SO! What? Categories
SO! What? SOcial Top Clicks
- Why Women Are The Real Power Behind SOcial Media?This infographic designed for FinancesOnline.com, goes into detail about why women dominate social media. In the USA alone one- third of women access Pinterest, vs 8% of men. On Tumblr it’s 54% to 46% in favour of females. On Instagram there is a smaller difference of 20% to 15%. Clearly women are dominating the fast- […]
- Did You Know 70% of Pinterest Engagement is Community Driven?Did you know that 70 percent of brand engagement on Pinterest is generated by the pinning community vs brands? This infographic by Digitas below takes a look at how users are driving the conversation on Pinterest and how brands can take advantage of this and amp up on audience engagement. “Brands need to go forth […]
- Infographic: 45 SOcial Media Stats of 2013The social community online is growing daily. Are you looking at how to engage with your online community? This infographic created by Digital Insights goes into detail about social media numbers, stats, facts and figures for 2013. The key highlights from this infographic are: 74% of marketers believe Facebook is important for their lead generation […]
- Infographic: The Rise of SOcial Media as a ProfessionWithin the last few years, careers in social media have been recognized as value for companies wanting to connect with customers online. Offterpop, a social media marketing platform compiled data from a LinkedIn study where since 2010 there has been a 1,357 percent increase in social media marketing positions posted. Want to know more about the rise […]
- Millennials & SOcial Media = ?Did you know that over three quarters of 15-34 year olds knows as Generation Y log on to social media everyday? This infographic created by InSites Consulting discovered that 56 percent of respondents said they use social media as a way to communicating and sending private messages while 54 percent use it to kill time. 92 percent […]
- Infographic: Halloween Costumes for EntrepreneursHappy Halloween!! I wanted to share this cheeky infographic created by Entrepreneur with you. What are you dressing up as this Halloween? Like SO! What? SOcial SOcial Media Marketing Agency Vancouver on Facebook or follow us on TwitterFiled under: INFOGRAPHIC Tagged: Entrepreneurs, Halloween, Holiday, Infographic
- How to Market on LinkedIn [Infographic]This infographic by mindflash.com showcases LinkedIn marketing. Some basic stats include: the fact that Linkedin has over 135 Million users worldwide, the average household income of a LinkedIn user is $109,000 and that 77% of LinkedIn users are 25 or older. Having a complete profile on LinkedIn is imperative as well as giving recommendations on skills […] […]
- Using SOcial Media For Lead GenerationSocial media can be an effective lead generation tool for your business. This infographic created by Wishpod goes into detail about how Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and Pinterest; the top social networks when used right can help your business grow with new leads and attract new customers. Facebook, the largest social network in the world […]
- Link Building Made Simple: FAQ’s on Link BuildingLink building made simple: FAQ’s on link building Webcast Date: July 16th, 2013 1:00 EDT (10:00 PDT) Speaker: Jon Ball, Page One Power Quality inbound links are essential to get the best page rankings. But where and how do you get started with link building? Join us for this LIVE webcast to learn the answers […]
- Need Inspiration?What quote best inspires you? Leave yours in the comments section below! Filed under: #socialmedia Tagged: Famous Quotes, Inspiration, Motivation, Quotes