Why blog? Is it to create thought leadership in your community or to improve your SEO (Search Engine Optimization)?
Blogposts are marketing pieces to communicate to your target audience your industry expertise, your opinion, and to create thought leadership in your community while improving your SEO.
Search engines love original content that is up to date, timely and relevant to trends, currents news, and what’s happening in your industry.
Here is a list of blogging best practices to follow:
1) Blogging frequency: I would recommend 3- 5 blogposts per week. This of course is dependent on whats going on in your industry that week and how much time you can spend on your blog.
2) Linking: Don’t forget to link your keywords! Link early and link often.
4) Who are your industry’s influencer’s? Set up Google alerts on your keywords and get timely, relevant ideas for blog posts like an announcement by a company in your industry, a key industry player or a press release. Don’t forget to push out content onto platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest to increase your SEO.
5) Keep it short: short and sweet is key with blog posts. Too much marketing content is information overload.
6) Images: Add images to every blog post you write. This makes it easier to share on visual social media sites such as Pinterest, Tumblr, Flickr. Blogposts with images have a better chance of getting liked, reblogged, reposted, and retweeted.
7) Guest blog: Ask a client, partner, colleague or an industry though leader to write a blogpost. You can then return the favor by writing a blogpost for them and get your name out to their network as well as yours.
8) Call to action: Make sure contact information is clearly visible and easy to navigate, have your social media profile links, and a follow my blog option.
Please feel free to add in any additional tips in the comments section below!